Closing Date: 15 Nov 2021 (Vacancy Closed)
POST TITLE: Science Technician
GRADE: Band 4
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Science
The science technician is responsible for:
- Ensuring that a safe, effective and efficient laboratory technical service is provided for use by students and teaching staff.
- Providing technical advice and assistance in the classroom to support students and to assist teaching staff with the provision of learning activities.
- Co-ordinating the use and development of practical resources and facilities within the science department.
- Ensuring that health and safety requirements and other relevant regulations are in place and adhered to, including the completion and recording of necessary checks.
Duties and responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities are indicated below. Other duties of an appropriate level and nature may also be required, as directed by the Headteacher.
- To establish and maintain good relationships with all students, parents/carers, colleagues and other professionals.
- To ensure that staff in the science department/s are aware of and comply with all health and safety requirements and other relevant regulations.
- To, in discussion with the head of science and her/his line manager, organise and put in place contingency plans to meet the needs of the science department/s in the event of emergencies such as absence, power cuts or equipment failure.
- To ensure that the technician team is well resourced, organised and developed to meet the performance standards required by the science department/s.
- To liaise with the head of science in order to put in place requirements for practical school and public examinations.
- To coordinate the putting up and maintenance of appropriate classroom and corridor displays within the science department/s.
- To ensure that equipment is in good working order and that laboratories, preparation areas and storerooms are in a clean, safe and orderly condition.
- To ensure the cleaning and maintenance of glassware, equipment and sinks.
- To, under the guidance of the head of science and her/his line manager, hold responsibility for the promotion and observance of a healthy and safe working environment. This includes:
- monitoring and review of health and safety procedures and information resources.
- Keeping up-to-date with current procedures and practices through continuing professional development.
- Providing technical advice on health and safety issues and other relevant regulations to teachers and support staff.
- The safe treatment and disposal of used materials, including hazardous substances, and responding to actual or potential hazards.
- The safe storage and accessibility of equipment and materials.
- development and maintenance of specialist resources and/or long-term projects, and offer professional guidance, assistance and support to students and teachers on the practical aspects of the curriculum.
- Support in setting up and monitoring systems used in the management and control of practical resources, including:
- Stock control, compiling orders, liaising and/or negotiating with suppliers, and maintaining appropriate records.
- Monitoring, controlling and maintaining financial records of departmental expenditure.
- Ensuring the availability of suitable materials and suggesting alternatives for suitability, sustainability and economy.
- To provide technical assistance to students, either individually when they are carrying out investigations or projects, or in-class assisting or advising students and staff on the practical aspects of the curriculum.
- S/he shall carry out and update risk assessments in accordance with school policies.
- To establish and maintain good relationships with all staff, students, visitors, suppliers and contractors.
- To ensure that all administrative duties, checks and documentation are completed to the required level of accuracy, including returns and reports.
- To source suppliers applying best value principles.
- To ensure that financial procedures and activities are carried out within the department/s in accordance with school policies and procedures.
- To complete equipment and stock inventories as required.
- To attend school events as required.
- To attend relevant meetings and training sessions.
- To undertake first aid training and responsibilities as required.
- To keep up to date with developments and changes in requirements and regulations, and communicate appropriate information to colleagues.
All employees have a responsibility to undertake training and development as required. They also have a responsibility to assist, where appropriate and necessary, with the training and development of fellow employees.
All employees have a responsibility of care for their own and others’ health and safety.
The above list is not exhaustive and other duties may be attached to the post from time to time. Variation may also occur to the duties and responsibilities without changing the general character of the post.
This vacancy is now closed.