Students will draw upon a range of texts as reading stimulus and engage with creative as well as real and relevant contexts. Students will have opportunities to develop higher-order reading and critical thinking skills that encourage genuine enquiry into different topics and themes.
English Language will help the pupils develop skills in the following areas:
- Read fluently, and with good understanding, a wide range of texts from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, including literature and literary non-fiction as well as other writing such as reviews and journalism;
- Read and evaluate texts critically and make comparisons between texts;
- Summarise and synthesise information or ideas from texts;
- Use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing;
- Write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately;
- Use grammar correctly and punctuate and spell accurately;
- Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language;
- Listen to and understand spoken language and use spoken Standard English effectively.